NHL Morning Skate for November 7th
* The Maple Leafs earned a 3-1 road win against the Hurricanes less than 24 hours after Toronto defeated Boston at Scotiabank Arena.
* The Red Wings rallied from a multi-goal deficit to defeat the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, while Brandon Montour He had four points against his former club to help the Panthers stifle another comeback attempt by the Ducks.
* Captain Oilers Connor McDavid is set to skate in the 500th game of his NHL career on Monday, with his point total at the time of the milestone placing him among a pantheon of all-time major league greats.
WINNER OF TAVARES TALLIES AS TORONTO LISTEN TO THE WEEKEND TEACHING
John Tavares (399-511-910 in 962 GP) scored the game-winner at 8:24 of the third period to reach 399 career NHL goals and help the Maple Leafs improve to 3-0-0 in their last three contests, which included a 2-1 win against Boston on Saturday. Hurricanes (8-2-1, 17 points on Nov. 6) and Bruins (10-1-0, 20 points on November 5th) entered their game against the Maple Leafs this weekend with hitting percentages of .773 and .909, respectively.
* Toronto became the eighth team in NHL history to sweep a back-to-back at this stage of a season (min. 10 GP) against opponents who had a point percentage of .750 or higher coming into play Maple Leafs joined 2019-20 Coyotes (Nov. 11-12), 2014-15 Islanders (Nov. 21-22), 2009-10 Islanders (Oct. 30-31), 1991 Oilers -92 (October 26, 2010). 27), 1978-79 Islanders (Nov. 11-12), 1971-72 Red Wings (Nov. 27-28) and 1970-71 Rangers (March 27-28).
SEIDER HELPS DETROIT CUT OUT MULTI-GOAL DEFICIT ENROUTE TO OVERTIME WIN
Moritz Seider (0-2-2) led all players with two points, including an assist on the overtime winner Dominic Cubanwhen the Red Wings rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat the Rangers in the 600th all-time head-to-head game between the Original Six franchises.
* Seider (7-48-55 in 94 GP) had 55 points in his NHL career. The only defensemen in franchise history with more before his 100th career NHL game they are Nicklas Lidstrom (12-58-70 in 99 GP), Reed Larson (21-47-68 in 99 GP) and Yves Racine (11-51-62 in 99 GP).
MONTOUR MATCHES FRANCHISE RECORD WITH FOUR POINTS AGAINST THE OLD CLUB
Brandon Montour (4-8-12 in 11 GP) went 1-3-4 against his former team to eclipse the 10-point mark this season and tie Single-game franchise record for points by a Panthers defenseman. Montour became the third Blue player with a four-point game in 2022-23joining San Jose’s Erik Karlsson (3-1-4 on Nov. 1) and Boston Hampus Lindholm (1-3-4 on November 1).
* Montour recorded the second four-point game of his NHL career. His first came nearly four years ago as a member of the Ducks (1-3-4 on Dec. 12, 2018).
* #NHLStats: Live Updates – November 6, 2022
* Josh Anderson, Matthew Tkachuk suspended two games for actions in Saturday’s games
* Nick Dowd, Dylan Strome bond with the kids at Hockey Fights Cancer Skating
* Bruins part ways with prospect Mitchell Miller due to bullying history
* Peter McNab dies at 70, 2021 USA Hockey Hall of Famer
OILERS CAPTAIN McDAVID SETS FOR 500-GAME MARK ON MONDAY
Connor McDavid is set to skate in the 500th game of his NHL career as the Oilers (7-5-0, 14 points) visit their No. 1 team. Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals (5-6-2, 12 points) during Monday’s slate.
* McDavid (251-471-722 in 499 GP) trails former Edmonton forward Jari Kurri (339-391-730 in 500 GP) for the fifth-highest point total in League history by a player in 500 career competitions. McDavid will own the most points among active NHL players through game no. 500, eclipsing Sidney Crosby (253-453-706 in 500 GP) and Ovechkin (309-324-633 in 500 GP) who reached the milestone on December 5, 2013 and December 3, 2011, respectively.
* McDavid (12-13-25 in 12 GP) leads the League in goals this season and became the fastest player in the NHL to reach the 25-point mark since his teammate Leon Draisaitl in 2021-22 (12-14-26 in 12 GP). The last players to score 25 points in a season in 12 or fewer games before McDavid and Draisaitl they were from Carolina Eric Staal (11-14-25 in 12 GP) and Philadelphia’s Peter Forsberg (4-21-25 in 12 GP) in 2005-06.
* McDavid is 5-8-13 in nine career games against Ovechkin, with the Oilers going 4-4-1 (9 points) in those contests (WSH: 5-2-2, 12 points). Ovechkin is 4-5-9 in his nine head-to-head games with McDavid.
#NHL #Morning #Skate #November #7th