2022 VINFAST IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SPECIAL DOCUMENTARY Airing on NBC, NOVEMBER 27 AT 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM EST
The documentary special also shows the iconic endurance event’s shift to a two-day format for the first time in history, offering focused women’s and men’s races and allowing more opportunities to tell inspiring stories of both professional athletes and groups of age competing in the prestigious triathlon that took place last October 6 and 8, 2022. The special documentary will also be available globally on the IRONMAN YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/ironmantriathlon after it aired on NBC.
Since its inception in 1978, the IRONMAN Triathlon World Championship has demonstrated not only the unmatched physical ability and enduring drive of the world’s best endurance athletes, but also some of the most inspiring stories of perseverance and resilience and impactful of the age group. athletes and everyday individuals who compete alongside them.
Among the stories in the VinFast IRONMAN World Championship 2022 special are:
- Just 18 months after giving birth to her daughter, a professional triathlete Chelsea Sodaro aims to become the first American woman to win the IRONMAN World Championship in over 25 years.
- Two young Norwegians at the forefront of the sport, Olympic gold medalist and reigning IRONMAN World Champion Christian Blummenfelt and IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Gustav Idenface World Championship supremacy in their debut appearances in Hawai`i.
- Veteran professional Tim O’Donnell returns to the top of the competition just 15 months after suffering a heart attack
- Chris Nikic A 22-year-old who made history by becoming the first person with Down syndrome to complete a full-distance IRONMAN triathlon in November 2020 wants to pass on his message to others to be 1% better every day in all aspects of life. . Along with his guide, fellow triathlete and friend Dan Grieb, Chris takes on his next big challenge to finish the iconic IRONMAN World Championship race in Kona.
- After numerous appearances and 13 age group titles over the years, Cherie Gruenfeld appears to be the oldest female athlete to ever finish the IRONMAN World Championship, proving that age really is just a number.
- Serious injury in the 2016 Brussels attack, former professional basketball player for the Belgian National Team Sebastien Bellinshares his journey from victim to survivor, overcoming his new physical ailments to finish triathlon’s greatest challenge.
- “Super” Sam Holness continues to make his mark as the world’s first openly autistic endurance athlete to take on the iconic IRONMAN World Championship just one month after becoming the first person with autism to complete a full-distance triathlon at the Mainova IRONMAN European Championship Frankfurt.
- Australian Paralympic Triathlon silver medalist Lauren Parker is competing in her third World Championship event in just over a year, and returns to Hawaii to compete in the IRONMAN World Championship for the first time since a bicycle accident that left her paralyzed at the top of her career
- Special team mother and daughter Beth and Liza Jamesaka Team Liza, who 16 years ago suffered a serious car accident that left Liza with a traumatic brain injury, are returning to Kona in their quest to make IRONMAN history by becoming the first mother special team duo -daughter to complete the iconic IRONMAN World. Triathlon Championship.
The VinFast IRONMAN World Championship 2022 documentary was shot using nine handheld cameras and two underwater cameras. Aerial coverage was provided by five drones, two helicopters and Qatar Airways’ FlyCam. All nearly 20 cameras captured the magic of VinFast’s IRONMAN World Championship triathlon, giving viewers a front-row seat to triathlon’s pinnacle event. The VinFast IRONMAN World Championship 2022 documentary was filmed and produced by the IRONMAN Group production team.
Since the first IRONMAN World Championship documentary special in 1991, the show has earned 68 Sports Emmy nominations and 16 Sports Emmy Awards.
For more information on the IRONMAN World Championship, visit www.ironman.com/im-world-championship. To learn more about the IRONMAN brand and the global event series, visit www.ironman.com. The media can contact [email protected].
About the IRONMAN World Championship
Since its inception in 1978 on the island of O’ahu, the IRONMAN World Championship has etched its name in history through stellar performances, inspiring participants and emotional memories. In 1981, the race moved from the tranquil shores of Waikīkī to the lava fields of Kona on the island of Hawaii, where it continues to take place to this day. The world’s most iconic one-day sporting event is the culmination of 40 global IRONMAN events with more than 94,000 athletes from around the world fighting for one of the coveted qualifying spots. The 2021 edition of the event took place in St. George, Utah in May 2022, becoming the first location outside of Hawaii to host the event since its origins in 1978. After a two-year hiatus from Hawaii due to COVID-19, the race returns to Kona and takes place for the first time as a two-day event in October for the 2022 edition of the VinFast IRONMAN World Championship. The 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship will see the event continue the two-day format but with a dedicated women’s race day and a dedicated men’s race day. With two days of racing, the event will host approximately 5,000 athletes as they embark on a 140.6-mile journey that presents the ultimate test of body, mind and spirit to earn the title of IRONMAN World Champion. For more information, visit www.ironman.com/im-world-championship.
About the IRONMAN group
The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes IRONMAN® Triathlon series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon series, the IRONMAN®Virtual Racing™ (VR™) Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, Rock ‘n’ Roll®Running Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running™ Series, IRONKIDS® Triathlon World Championship Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered™ Singapore Marathon and City2Surf®UTMB®World Series events including Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, Epic Series™ mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic® road cycling events including Haute Route®, and other multi-sport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and offers more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s extensive offering. The company’s portfolio also includes FulGaz, which offers the complete athlete experience®virtual cycling, the connected fitness app with the most realistic indoor riding experience designed to prepare athletes for real-world events. Since the beginning of the iconic IRONMAN®brand and its first event in 1978, the athletes have shown that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE®crossing finish lines around the world. Starting as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with hundreds of events in over 55 countries. The IRONMAN Group is owned by Advance, a private family-owned company. For more information, visitwww.ironman.com/about-ironman-group.
Advance is a private, family-owned company that owns and invests in companies in the media, entertainment, technology, communications, education and other promising growth sectors. Our mission is to build the long-term value of our companies by fostering growth and innovation. Advance’s portfolio includes Condé Nast, Advance Local, Stage Entertainment, The IRONMAN Group, American City Business Journals, Leaders Group, Turnitin, 1010data and Pop. Together, these operating companies employ more than 17,000 people in 29 countries. Advance is also among the largest shareholders of Charter Communications, Warner Bros. Discovery and Reddit. For more information visit www.advance.com.
#VINFAST #IRONMAN #WORLD #CHAMPIONSHIP #SPECIAL #DOCUMENTARY #Airing #NBC #NOVEMBER #EST