Watch: Houston Astros pitcher Jose Urquidy throws first pitch for former club in Winter League
It used to be a rotation piece for the Houston Astros of the staff, José Urquidy was like many prospects, looking to improve his value in a winter league. During the 2015 and 2018 postseasons, Urquidy pitched for the Venados de Mazatlán of the Mexican Pacific League.
In those two seasons, the right-hander made 14 appearances, 13 starts, with a 2.78 ERA with 57 strikeouts. Urquidy returned to Mazatlán on Saturday, throwing out his former club’s first winter league pitch.
Over four major league seasons, Urquidy maintained a 3.74 ERA in 60 of his 63 plate appearances. The right-hander struck out 281 batters in his 72 balls in that span, continuing his presence in the rotation through the 2022 season.
While the Astros came close to trading Urquidy at the deadline, Houston stuck with the starting pitcher and moved him to the bullpen for the postseason. Urquidy made one appearance in the World Series, where the right-hander pitched three scoreless innings in relief.
Scroll to continue
More from SI’s Inside The Astros:
- Could Mike Trout Request A Trade To The Houston Astros?
- Mariners Fans Inexplicably Outraged After Houston Astros Social Media Post About Sweep
- Report: CPBL Club Terminated Former Astros Pitcher Fiers’ Contract
- Six Houston Astros declared free agents
- Watch: Yordan Alvarez’s Home Run Wins Astros World Series
- Lucas Giolito claims every team was cheating in 2017
- Dusty Baker shares his thoughts on Bonds and Judge Records
- Is it time to move on from the Houston Astros cheating scandal?
- Is there any hope for an aging Yuli Gurriel?
- The Astros’ Alvarez stopped hitting and became the best hitter in baseball
Be sure to follow Inside the Astros on Twitter @InsideAstrosSI!
#Watch #Houston #Astros #pitcher #Jose #Urquidy #throws #pitch #club #Winter #League