“Everyone must understand that any actions that may pose a threat to the safety of our troops in Transnistria will be considered an attack by Russia under the norms of international law,” says the head of Russian diplomacy.
He also named the algorithm of Russian actions in the event of a potential “attack”. According to the minister, Moscow will take the same measures as “in 2008, when Mikheil Saakashvili ruled Sakartveli, Sakartveli’s forces attacked peacekeepers in South Ossetia.”
Earlier, S. Lavrov accused Moldova of not wanting to engage in a dialogue with the authorities of Transnistria: “According to the public statements of the President of Moldova Maia Sandu and her team, they, listening to the instructions of the United States and the European Union, do not want a direct dialogue.”
This is already the second threat of S. Lavrov to Moldova this week. On Wednesday, he said that Russia is ready to protect Russian speakers in the country. S. Lavrov did not specify what and why they need to be protected.
In early August, the Deputy Prime Minister of Moldova, Oleg Serebrian, warned that a wave of false reports about the mining of important objects in the country and statements by representatives of Transnistria about the desire to unite with Russia could be a prelude to a military operation by the Russian Federation.
On July 22, Transnistria’s so-called foreign minister Vitaly Ignatyev announced his intention to integrate the unrecognized republic into Russia, coinciding with the beginning of reports of alleged landmines.
“This is an obvious provocation – the idea that it (Uzhdniester) should be independent is old, but the fact that it should join Russia was unexpected. This is the first time they have said this. The war in Ukraine means that we are worried that this is not just a statement, but also a kind of prelude to an operation in Moldova,” said the Moldovan vice-prime minister.
He added that Moldova “will do everything to avoid a military confrontation, but it is not 100 percent.” depends on Chisinau”.
“We were surprised, some local politicians have been tense in recent weeks, we are concerned that there is some synergy between the ‘mining’, the new rhetoric from Gagauzia, the new, more aggressive rhetoric from Tiraspol – we think there is a connection between them,” added O Serebrian.
Commenting on statements by Ukrainian officials about possible help in liberating Transnistria, a representative of the Moldovan government emphasized that no official offers had been received, and if they did, they would be rejected.
“Moldova is a neutral country, so there should be no foreign troops on its territory. The priority is the withdrawal of Russian forces,” he said.
It is reported that if the war in Ukraine spreads to the territory of Moldova and relations with the Russian Federation worsen, Moldova would turn to Romania for help.
It is strictly forbidden to use the information published by DELFI on other websites, media or elsewhere or to distribute our material in any form without consent, and if consent is obtained, it is necessary to credit DELFI as the source.