The last leader of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev, has died

“Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev died tonight after a long and serious illness,” a Russian media channel reported.

In June, the spokesman for the Gorbachev Foundation, Vladimir Poliakov, said that Mikhail Gorbachev had kidney disease and was being treated. He also linked the 91-year-old former president of the Soviet Union’s declining health to his age.

The now 91-year-old M. Gorbachev, who led the opening of the Soviet Union in the late 1980s, had ongoing health problems.

In the past year, he underwent repeated medical examinations, “Maš” writes. According to the portal, the former president had to go to one of the hospitals in Moscow to undergo dialysis to clean his blood.

There was no official confirmation that he was suffering from kidney problems.

M. Gorbachev became the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in 1985. At that time, it was the highest position in the country’s political hierarchy. In 1990, he became the first and last president of the country. While in power, M. Gorbachev initiated reforms (“perestroika”) and openness (“glasnost”) of the communist system. In 1991, the Soviet Union collapsed.

Back in May of this year, the District Court of the city of Vilnius sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia the documents of the civil lawsuit concerning the events of January 13, addressed to the former president of the Soviet Union M. Gorbachev.

On behalf of the relatives of four people who died during the events of January – Vidos Maciulevičius, Algimantas Petros Kavoliuks, Virginijas Druskis, Apolinars Juozas Povilaitis – a civil lawsuit has been submitted to the Vilnius court regarding M. Gorbachev’s responsibility for the events of January 1991.

After the plaintiffs complied with the court’s order to translate the defendant’s documents into Russian in March, the court accepted the lawsuit and decided to send the documents to M. Gorbachev. The defendant must be informed about the case and submit his response. The court session of the case has not yet been scheduled.

The civil action was filed on behalf of six bereaved persons. This lawsuit seeks to hold M. Gorbachev, as the highest-ranking person in the USSR, accountable for the January 13 massacre.

The plaintiffs claimed to have submitted evidence to the court, substantiating that the then President of the USSR, M. Gorbachev, as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the USSR on January 11-13, 1991, had control over the army, but did not take measures to prevent aggression, that is, did not stop the execution of an international crime. On the night of January 13, 1991, 14 people were killed when Soviet military units stormed the Vilnius TV tower and the building of the Radio and Television Committee. The Soviets tried by military force to overthrow the legitimate government of Lithuania, which declared the country’s independence from the Soviet Union on March 11, 1990.

First steps in politics

While still in high school, M. Gorbachev became a candidate for the Communist Party. He managed to join the party only in 1952, while studying at Moscow University. After returning to Stavropol after his studies, M. Gorbachev got a job at the Stavropol Territorial Prosecutor’s Office.

In 1956, he became the first secretary of the Komsomol Youth Committee of the city of Stavropol; In 1961, he was appointed as a delegate to the party congress.

The year 1980 was extremely important in M. Gorbachev’s career – he became a full member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party (the most important executive body of the party).

In 1984, Yuriy Andropov, M. Gorbachev’s patron in the Kremlin (General Secretary of the Communist Party), died. In 1985, when Andropov’s successor, Konstantinas Chernenka, died, M. Gorbachev was elected General Secretary of the Communist Party. He inherited the problems that plagued both J. Andropov and K. Chernenko, among which were extremely serious internal problems of the country and the growing tension of the Cold War.

After the explosion of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine on April 26, 1986, relations between the United States and the Soviet Union deteriorated again. The Soviet Union avoided speaking publicly about this nuclear disaster for more than two weeks. Against the background of M. Gorbachev’s policies, his behavior appeared to most to be hypocritical, to say the least.

During the summit meetings held in October 1985 and 1986, it was simply impossible not to notice the deterioration of relations between M. Gorbachev and R. Reagan.

In August 1991, while M. Gorbachev was on vacation in Crimea, the conservatives of the Communist Party decided to overthrow him from power – the Moscow putsch began. Rather ironically, one of the coup organizers was Prime Minister Pavlov, whom Gorbachev had hired to balance his and Yeltsin’s power.

Although he spoke out against Gorbachev’s rule, Yeltsin managed to contain the coup and it ultimately failed. After M. Gorbachev returned to Moscow, there were rumors that he had secretly agreed with the leaders of the coup. People began to no longer trust M. Gorbachev, they began to lean towards B. Yeltsin, whom they considered the new hero of the nation.

During the Christmas of 1991, the Soviet Union finally collapsed. M. Gorbachev had to inevitably resign from the post of the President of the Soviet Union – he transferred all power to B. Yeltsin.

It is strictly forbidden to use the information published by DELFI on other websites, media or elsewhere or to distribute our material in any form without consent, and if consent is obtained, it is necessary to credit DELFI as the source.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.